[CentOS] install detecting disk as sdb not sda

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Feb 3 18:34:51 UTC 2012

Hello Jerry,

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:24:14 -0500 Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install 6.2 on a machine.
> I am using PXE as I have done so a number of times.
>
> My hard disk is being detected as sdb and not sda.
> My kickstart config is wanting it at sda.
>
> There are no other disks in the unit. It has and SD slot and an esata
> although BIOS does not appear to have a disable for either of those devices.
>
> Is there anyway to "force" the disk to sda ?
> or find out what its detecting at sda and disable that from the PXE boot
> line?
>
> Doing " dmesg | grep sda" does say SCSI removable disk.
>
> So how can I tell linux to NOT include that when installing?

I noticed that behaviour with my CentOS6 (installed and kept up-to-date
using yum). This happened since kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 and
furthers updates. Was working as expected (my laptop's hdd mounted as
sda) with previous kernels, up to kernel-2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64.

I wonder if that behaviour, and the *change* of behaviour is an issue
that should be reported, and how to handle it on installed systems!
For now, I'm either booting w/ no USB disk plugged, or booting
a 2.6.32-131 kernel.

Regards,

--
wwp