[CentOS] install detecting disk as sdb not sda

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Feb 3 22:31:38 UTC 2012

Hello Reindl,

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 23:19:26 +0100 Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 03.02.2012 23:02, schrieb wwp:
> > An aspect of the problem w/ that behaviour change introduced w/ recent
> > kernel updates, is that some mount mapping tables (fstab for instance)
> > are broken if they rely on mount order (sda, hda, etc.) instead of
> > device ID or label.
>
> if they are doing so they are broken all the time by design
>
> the last 10 years i saw no single machine not using LABEL and
> the last 4 years no single one not using UUID, even in my RAID10
> i can plug any disk whereever i want

Interesting.. my habits seem very old then :-).

A long time after setting up my CentOS6, I decided to create a
partition in extended area for my personal data, and to automount it at
boot.

This is done in fstab with:
  /dev/sda8 /storage/data    ext4    noatime,nodiratime  0 0
(see how I rely on sda, silly me!)

I grabbed the UUID from `lshal` and replaced it in fstab:
  UUID=005374e2_5c18_437d_84d8_8069868fe54e   ext4    noatime,nodiratime  0 0

.. no luck, it doesn't automount at boot. I think I'll have to
investigate or get another brain update.

Regards,

--
wwp