[CentOS] Building CentOS 6.2 custom install media

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Feb 4 16:28:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> We only use that scripts included in the anaconda-runtime stack - I'm
> away to Fosdem this weekend ( are you guys around ? ) back in town on
> Monday, would love to help you guys make this transition.
>
> Essentially, the repo included on disk/in-media/in-mirror is a snapshot
> in time from the buildsys, with a bunch of tests run against it and an
> install image built around it. Depending on what you are trying to do
> and what the most desirable goal might be, I'll be happy to help build a
> process for that.

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick response! Have fun at FOSDEM,
unfortunately I don't think anyone from OLPC will be there.

I guess you're referring to the install DVD(s) here - which include
the entire contents of the mirror, makes sense.

In this case I think we want something more akin the minimal install
CD - a specific subset of the packages available, plus installer.
Could you point me towards the scripts used to build that?

To answer your question about the most desirable goal, I guess it is
something like this: we provide a kickstart file that lists the CentOS
repos and our own repo, with the "base" and "core" package groups
selected (plus our own packages listed too), and then we use a tool to
then download all the required packages (but no more), and compose
them onto an anaconda-based install CD.

I guess I have just described pungi there - and maybe that is our
answer. But I have yet to find a report of someone using pungi to
rebuild C6, and pungi is not included in RHEL/CentOS and isn't in EPEL
either. I'd welcome your input on the best way to achieve this.

Thanks,
Daniel