[CentOS] configure network bridge listing bridged intefaces

Robert Spangler mlists at zoominternet.net
Sun Feb 5 15:17:36 UTC 2012

On Saturday 04 February 2012 19:18, the following was written:

>  On 02/03/2012 11:56 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:
>  > On Friday 03 February 2012 09:10, the following was written:
>  >>   On 02/03/2012 08:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>  >>   >  Hi all,
>  >>   >
>  >>   >  Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a
>  >>   > bridge named br0.
>  >>   >
>  >>   >  Searching the web I only found about creating a file
>  >>   >  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where
>  >>   > to explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>  >>   >
>  >>   >  Where is it configured?
>  >>   >
>  >>   >  Thank you.
>  >>
>  >>   All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use
>  >> ebtables/iptables to restrict them.
>  >
>  > Really?  Only hubs present packets to all interfaces.  Linux work as a
>  > router not a hub.
>
>  A network bridge connects multiple network segments at the data link layer
> (Layer 2) of the OSI model. In Ethernet networks, the term bridge formally
> means a device that behaves according to the IEEE 802.1D standard. A bridge
> and a switch are very much alike; a switch being a bridge with numerous
> ports. Switch or Layer 2 switch is often used interchangeably with bridge.

The OP was asking for help on configuring bridging.  You reply made it sound
like it wasn't necessary as "All packets appear on both interfaces".  That
statement is false unless it has been configured that way. Which at that
point in time we can assume that the OP hasn't configured it, thus the
question.

Nice textbook definition btw.

--

Regards