[CentOS] about major version upgrades

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 19:38:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:

>> If it is possible to abstract the differences, perhaps you aren't
>> using all the new features and didn't have to upgrade after all...
> ----
> I suppose that if you believe that, then you are suffering from a lack of imagination. I can deploy LDAP authentication setups to either Ubuntu or CentOS with the various pam, nss, padl files which are vastly different in no time.

How well does it handle windows?

> I'm only expressing the notion that it is entirely possible to get beyond the paradigm of locked in server installs on iron that takes a lot of effort to maintain (ie, update/upgrade X number_of_servers). There are some very sophisticated configuration management system, chef looked good, I chose to go with puppet and I've been very pleased with the depth and scope of puppet.

I'm actually very interested in this, but puppet did not look like the
right architecture.   http://saltstack.org/ might not be quite ready
for prime time but it looks like a very reasonable design.  The python
dependencies are probably going going to be painful for cross platform
installs but at least someone on its mail list has it working on
windows and there are already epel packages.

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com