[CentOS] SSD Drives

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Feb 7 20:08:59 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 10:19 AM, Matt wrote:
> Has anyone installed a high I/O application such as an email server on
> SSD drives?  Was thinking about doing two SSD's in RAID1.  It would
> solve my I/O latency issues but I have heard that SSD's wear out
> quickly in high I/O situations?  Something like each memory location
> only has X many writes before its done.  Just wandering if anyone has
> tested it and if newer SSD's are better about this?

Is this the best way to go?  Much of the recent mail software, postfix,
dovecot etc has features which make it easier to set up redundant
mailservers and distribute the load across them.  This will scale better
if your needs grow down the road.  SSD's tend to be rather costly,
especially if your storage needs are high.   I guess the main advantage
to a single server with SSD is lower power consumption.

What about RAID10?

Nataraj