[CentOS] about major version upgrades

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:35:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:

> puppet manifests won't expire because of changes in ruby rather because of changes in puppet but a startup at this point should be fine for many years as the path forward seems pretty well defined.

Does it keep a self-contained library or is it subject to package
updates and future incompatibilities?  I don't know much about ruby
but the guy here who uses it wants nothing to do with packaged
versions or anything that will either be 'too old' or break things
with updates.   Things like that make me very nervous.  If today's and
yesterday's version of a language have to be different they were
probably both wrong.

> There's a lot of scaling possibilities for puppet master and a single master should be able to handle 200-300 servers without much difficulty and there are organizations that scale well into the thousands on puppet but yes, that does require some sophistication. FWIW, I'm just a hair under 50 servers and I'm running the puppet master on a VMWare image of 768MB.

I'd need it to do a couple thousand, across a bunch of platforms and
I'd rather not fight with it to get there.  I do have ocsinventory
agents reporting to a single server, but that's basically one http
post a day with randomized timing so not even close to the same
problem.   And the even bigger issue will be making it coordinate with
our 'human' process and scheduling controls.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com