[CentOS] TLS support on postfix

Kumar Krishna

krishnak5891 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:50:26 UTC 2012

Hi List,

I have a postfix server based on CentOS 5 in which I have been trying to add TLS encryption support for SMTP.

From the localhost when I do an EHLO, following is the output

[root at xxxxxxx ~]# nc localhost 25
220 xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx.xx ESMTP Postfix
EHLO localhost
250-xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx.xx
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 41943040
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

However from a remote location when I do the EHLO, the response does not contains STARTTLS, ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES and DSN

krishna at L03:~$ nc xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx.xx 25
220 xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx.xx ESMTP Postfix
EHLO localhost
250-xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx.xx
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 41943040
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250 8BITMIME

I have done some googling and found this might be because of the Cisco Router's "ESMTP Fix". However Can someone here tell me if there are any settings in master.cf or main.cf that might result in similar behaviour?

Regards,
KRiSHNA