[CentOS] Eeek, my centos6 box won't boot after broken update, need help w/ yum

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Feb 8 11:06:44 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
> Hello there,
>

> I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> only in init 3 mode (tty).
>
>  From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
>
> yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename>  - ud from
> the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> Same stuff if I start that command again.
>
> A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
>
> Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?

"yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
number). Use that number in:

"yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
rollback <number>"

Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...