[CentOS] advice on bind/dns and many sites

Bob Hoffman

bob at bobhoffman.com
Fri Feb 10 05:30:01 UTC 2012

hi all,
currently my websites are sharing one server, also having bind running
on that server for all of them.
I am now breaking the sites on to different machines.

So what would you do on bond/dns?

I was thinking of making two servers as nameservers, one master, one
slave, for all my domains.
For resolution of the server itself I was originally going to make a
recursive caching nameserver for the domains to go to.

However, instead I was thinking of running bind as a caching server on
each websites machine, with a couple extra points to online servers like
googles (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

I was hoping to limit cpu/mem needs by putting the recursive/caching on
a separate machine, but perhaps it is better to put it on each machine.

what would you do?