[CentOS] QEMU configuration not persistent

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Feb 13 23:49:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Emmett Culley wrote:

> Since switching from CentOS 5.7 to CentOS 6.x I find that one of the
> VMs will not restart upon system reboot.  I finally figured out that
> the video is always set to vmvga after rebooting.  In addition the
> VM's storage always reverts back to IDE from virtio and is set to
> use the wrong image.
>
> It may be related to the fact that I moved the XML files that
> defined the VMs from the old (CentOS 5.7) /etc/libvirt/qemu
> directory to the new (CentOS 6.2) /etc/libvirt/qemu directory.  The
> images are stored is the same LVM partitions as they were on the
> CentOS 5.7
>
> Any ideas why a VM would revert back?  I've checked the XML file
> before rebooting and it always has the correct info in it, until
> after the reboot.

Did you copy the XML file from the 5.7 host to 6.3 host as-is or did
you edit it at all during the migration?

I've found that I need either to run "virsh define $DOM.xml" and then
start the new domain or run "virsh create $DOM.xml" and then, once
it's running, make a trivial change (usually adding an XML comment) to
the configuration via "virsh edit $DOM" to get things to stick.