[CentOS] QEMU configuration not persistent

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Feb 14 18:58:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Emmett Culley wrote:

> Still doesn't persist.  Each time I reboot I have to use
> virt-manager to change video to cirrus from vmvga, then remove the
> IDE driver that points to the wrong storage location and add a new
> virtio storage device pointing to the correct image (an LVM
> partiiton).
>
> After I make the changes I close virt-manager and restart it, then
> look at the configuration for the non-persistent VM, and my changes
> are still there and I can run the VM.
>
> I did a "grep vmvga" on the entire /etc/libvirt directory tree and
> found no references to "vmvga".  Where can libvirt be getting info
> to change the xml to vmvga, or the IDE to the wrong location?

I've not seen these symptoms, so I can only outline the sorts of steps
I'd take in troubleshooting. First, I'd check for SELinux issues:

1. Run "fixfiles check /etc" to see if a configuration file is
    mislabled.

2. Do the same thing on /var to see if any runtime files have
    issues.

3. Run "ausearch -m avc" and grep for qemu or libvirt issues.

After that, I'd get more drastic:

1. virsh shutdown $DOM.
2. virsh dumpxml $DOM > /tmp/dom.xml
3. virsh undefine $DOM