[CentOS] [FIXED] Centos 5.7--desktop icons are now a blank sheet of paper with the .desktop filename and they don't work

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Feb 15 16:40:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:40:13AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 05:06 PM, fred smith wrote:
> >
> > new info, see below...

> >> Well, it's fixed. I know the solution, if not the cause: in my
> >> home directory, cd to .local/share/mime, delete (or rename) the
> >> "globs" file. log off, log on. voila.
> >>
> >> I note that the globs file in that location is not the same size
> >> as the one in /usr/share/mime globs, which is also no the same
> >> size as the one in /usr/local/share/mime/globs. I have no CLUE
> >> how it gets generated (unless update-mime-database does it, but I
> >> don't know when or by what agency it gets run.) but after
> >> rebooting it has not been regenerated, but at least my desktop
> >> launchers now work. I note that /usr/share/mime/globs contains:
> >>
> >> application/x-desktop:*.desktop
> >>
> >> and that the globs file I renamed in ~/.local/share/mime does not
> >> contain such a line. without doing further spelunking, I can only
> >> guess that it is the absence of that line that broke my desktop.
> >>
> >> Wonder how the file could have become broken/corrupted? is there
> >> a more correct method of "fixing" it?
> >
> > So, this afternoon a single update came down, a new selinux policy
> > file. after installing that update, the problem (described above)
> > recurred. So, it's some kind of selinux(-related) issue.
> >
> > If any of you have any further thoughts on this I'd like to hear
> > them.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Fred
>

> I would relabel your system
>
> touch /.autorelabel; reboot
>
> And I would bet that fixes your problem.

I'm not sure that it did. I did what you suggest. rebooted then reinserted
the glob file (I'd saved it under a different name). it immediately seemed
to be still working, but the next day the problem started occurring again,
without having installed any other updates.

Fred
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."