[CentOS] [RESOLVED] -- Re: anyone else having flash trouble?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Feb 16 20:34:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:15:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 08:25 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > fred smith wrote:

> > <snip>
> >> Yes, I'm using the nvidia driver bundle from Nvidia's web site. but
> >> then I ALWAYS have been (this machine is something like 3 years old).
> >> However, I did update it recently, I'll have to see if I can figure
> >> out exactly when that was (less than a week...), and maybe reinstall
> >> the one I had previously.
> > Strong recommendation: enable elrepo, at least for kmod-nvidia and
> > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia. That way, when you update, it will autoupdate and
> > autorebuild for you. I've just started moving that was for my people (and
> > me) who have nvidia (esp old nvidia) cards.
>
> I echo this recommendation.
>
> I used to use the NVIDIA drivers directly from the nvidia.com, but since
> I upgraded my workstation to CentOS-6.x I have been using elrepo's rpms
> for nvidia with no issues.
>
> I certainly know how to build things (being that I build most of the c4
> and c5 updates that we release), but I love the convenience that elrepo
> provides.  I highly recommend the elrepo site for anything that they
> currently maintain, they do a great job.

without having yet switched to a repo instead of using the package
from nvidia's web site, I just reinstalled the previous version of
the nvidia drivers and now flash works. go figure.

the one that was NOT working for me was 290.10, and the next newest one I had
(the one I am now using again) is 285.05.09.

of course, that doesn't say it's an nvidia bug, it may well be a flash
problem. time will tell, perhaps.

thanks for the advise to all of you!

Fred

 .----    Fred Smith   /