[CentOS] smartd and smartctl

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Feb 17 22:04:08 UTC 2012

Mike VanHorn wrote:

> FWIW, on some of my workstations, when I have gotten the "sector pending"
> messages, I have been able to take the drive out and run the
> manufacturer's diagnostics on it (in my case, Seatools), and that fixed
> some things and I haven't had any issues since.

Well, since the server has users on it, I can't really do that, or wipe
the disk.... I'm not really worried - it's stayed at 1 sector. If that
starts growing, then I'll worry, and get ready to replace the disk. Right
now, it's just an annoyance, as I said, that it shows up on email logs
from our loghost twice every hour. And I'm still waiting for anyone to
explain to me what I'm doing using smartctl that results in it *not*
telling me there's an error, or where the error is. In fact, the last long
test I started, early this afternoon, seems to be done, and with smartctl
-a, I see
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA
_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      2536
  -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2529
  -

So I'm befuddled why it won't tell me anything about this pending error.

        mark