[CentOS] [OT] Where did my Skype icon go?

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Tue Feb 21 21:45:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:30:55 -0500
James B. Byrne wrote:

> Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
> appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop.  Now it
> does not.  I must have moved or modified something on the
> Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
> recall what that might have been.  It certainly was not a
> conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
> back.

You probably deleted the Notification Area on your panel.  Add it back.

To prevent just exactly these sorts of problems, I install gconf-editor on all
of my computers and lock the panel by running gconf-editor and setting
apps-panel-global-locked_down to true.

If you need to change the panel again in the future, just set that value back
to false, make your change, and lock it again.