[CentOS] [OT] Where did my Skype icon go?

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Wed Feb 22 00:41:04 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 05:08 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 10:45 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:30:55 -0500
>> James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>>> Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
>>> appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop.  Now it
>>> does not.  I must have moved or modified something on the
>>> Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
>>> recall what that might have been.  It certainly was not a
>>> conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
>>> back.
>>
>> You probably deleted the Notification Area on your panel.  Add it back.
>>
>> To prevent just exactly these sorts of problems, I install gconf-editor on all
>> of my computers and lock the panel by running gconf-editor and setting
>> apps-panel-global-locked_down to true.
>>
>> If you need to change the panel again in the future, just set that value back
>> to false, make your change, and lock it again.
>>

> Another possibility is that he disabled Skype in System ->  Preferences
> ->  Startup Applications.

That's not possible if the OP can start a new instance.  The OP stated:

The absence is not merely cosmetic.  Without that icon
once I close the Skype dialog window I know of no other
way to activate a desktop dialog window with the running
Skype instance.  Running Skype again gives the warning
that another instance is already running and then quits.

--
     _
    °v°