[CentOS] Is there a way to _remove_ dependencies from an RPM built from source?

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sun Feb 26 19:24:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:14:50 +0100
Michael Lampe wrote:

> Frank Cox wrote:
>
> > A dependency is supposed to be something that's required for a program to
> > work. Removing the dependency from the rpm won't magically make a program
> > work if it really does require the functionality provided by that
> > dependency.
>
> It's there.
>
> Just not registered with rpm. -- Intel's fault, I cannot do anything
> about it.

Then the solution I posted will solve the problem.

The easiest way to do it is this:

yum install rpmdevtools
rpmdev-setuptree
rpm -i nameofsrcrpm.src.rpm
cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
vi nameofspecfile.spec

Edit the dependency list to suit.

rpmbuild -ba nameofspecfile.spec

That's it.  You now have a new .src.rpm and binary rpm.