[CentOS] Data consumption (external connections only)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:31:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

>> Can this help? I think friend of mine wrote it, Nenad Opsenica, some 6-7
>> years ago, I don't think he will mind:
>>
>> http://www.plcomputers.net/download/svasta/if-kbps
>>
>> Use it as "if-kbps eth0" and brake with Ctrl+C.
>
> It looks like it does pretty much the same thing as several other monitoring
> tools that I've looked at.  However, none of them separate local traffic from
> external traffic.

Without separate interfaces there's not much to distinguish your
local/external concepts.  Did you try ntop?  It basically acts as a
packet sniffer that can group and summarize by a lot of different
categories but there is a lot of overhead in building the database
with all that info.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com