[CentOS] Data consumption (external connections only)

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sun Feb 26 21:55:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:50:32 -0600
Les Mikesell wrote:

> Most people would just look at the router's own bandwidth measurement
> or the one at the ISP's end if that is available.

Possibly, but that wouldn't break it down by machine.   And in that situation
I'd think a per-machine breakdown would be useful because then you'd know if
you should be yelling at the kid, the wife or the family dog when you get the
ten thousand dollar ISP bill.  Again, it just seems like the sort of thing that
folks would want to be able to track in certain situations.   But apparently
not.

> I thought what made
> your case uncommon was that you had multiple machines and multiple
> routers and  wanted the measurements for each pairing even though the
> packets go over the same interfaces with no inherent separation.

The separation is the gateway assignment or the lack thereof (for local
traffic).  But other than that, yep, that's a correct assessment.

>  If  you added interfaces and subnets for each route you wanted to measure
> separately the normal tools would work naturally.

Indeed, but that adds a whole new layer of complexity to my network that's not
really needed for any other purpose.