[CentOS] schily tools

Mon Feb 6 18:04:31 UTC 2012
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

Hey folks,

I'm reading up on gtar for tape archiving and it sounds kind of nasty and
not something I really want to rely on.

It looks like star from the schily tools is preferred.  I'm using Centos
(and RHEL) 5.7 which seems to have star but not sdd.

Which leads me to believe that the Schily tools are maybe a bit "rogue"

My basic requirement with what I'm doing is to use standard tools and
formats so that archives I write today can be readable in 10 years.

Is the use of Schily tools going to be contrary to my basic requirement?
Is that considered a risk for future readability?

thanks,
-Alan