[CentOS] Anyone already tried to backport the latest ASPM kernel patch to 6.2?

Sun Feb 12 22:57:26 UTC 2012
Michael Lampe <lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de>

After going from CentOS 5.7 to 6.2, a lot of things turned out to be
much better, but there are also quite some regressions. The most obvious
one is power consumption on my notebook. It was notably lower before.

The ASPM issue introduced in 2.6.38 was widely reported and discussed,
and the 6.2 kernel has exacatly this code as a backport.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=2f671e2dbff6eb5ef4e2600adbec550c13b8fe72

So I started to experiment with the upstream patch:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=commitdiff;h=3c076351c4027a56d5005a39a0b518a4ba393ce2;hp=69166fbf02c7a21745013f2de037bf7af26e4279

To make it apply, one needs to change 'pci_is_pcie(pdev)' into
'pdev->is_pcie'. One also needs to fiddle a little with the first chunk.

I came up with the patch attached, but unfortunately the new kernel
showed no improvement. Most probably I got something wrong.

Anyone else here who tried this or is interested in sorting this out?

Thanks,
   Michael