[CentOS] [OT] Where did my Skype icon go?

Tue Feb 21 21:30:55 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

CentOS-5.7
Skype 2.1.0.81beta

Formerly, when I opened Skype a green Skype icon would
appear in the upper menu bar of the Gnome desktop.  Now it
does not.  I must have moved or modified something on the
Desktop to cause this to disappear although I cannot
recall what that might have been.  It certainly was not a
conscious modification and I would like to get the icon
back.

The absence is not merely cosmetic.  Without that icon
once I close the Skype dialog window I know of no other
way to activate a desktop dialog window with the running
Skype instance.  Running Skype again gives the warning
that another instance is already running and then quits.

A clue to what has happened might be when Skype is in this
state incoming notices pop-up from the right hand side of
the lower (switcher) menu bar immediately to the left of
the work space display.  But there is no way to get Skype
to open.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to get this back?

Canada  L8E 3C3