[CentOS] Data consumption (external connections only)

Fri Feb 24 22:40:15 UTC 2012
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

There's a whole herd of ways to count and track the amount of data that goes
through a given network port.  However, I'm looking for a user-friendly (and
pretty, if possible) monitor or counter program with the following features:

1. Grand total amount of data in and out since last counter reset.
2. Resettable counters both manual (reset it when you want to) or timed (reset
this thing monthly or weekly, etc.)
3. Breakdown of external and internal traffic volume, by gateway if possible.

Basically, I'm looking for a report with fields or a graph similar to this

Total data transferred since the last reset:
Total data sent:
Total data received:
Total data sent through external gateway 192.168.0.1:
Total data received through external gateway 192.168.0.1:

And so on if the computer has sent data through other gateways if there are
several on a network.

I've found all kinds of counters but none that seem to  break out internal
traffic from the external traffic by gateway.  Perhaps I'm not looking for the
right thing?