[CentOS] ip route and nexthop: the "CentOS" way

Thu Feb 2 10:41:23 UTC 2012
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

On 02/02/2012 11:28 AM, Nick wrote:
> And if it isn't, is there anything I should bear in mind when hacking a script
> to do this sort of thing, in order to avoid breaking my system or generally
> fighting against the system's assumptions?

I would have ping the gateway of primary link (maybe both) and some
outside IP on that path, and in case of timeouts I would activate
changes or something. Like "heartbeat" tests.

But I recommend you read:
http://www.shorewall.net/Shorewall_and_Routing.html

and then consider using shorewall in MultiISP environment. I do not
think Basic routing is able to deal with changing circumstances, at
least not fast enough. One solution would be running dynamic routing
protocols, like OSPF or OLSR, which involves running then on several
routers/systems, or using some active script like shorewall.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...