[CentOS] SSD Drives

Thu Feb 2 19:05:47 UTC 2012
Mike <mike at microdel.org>

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, William Warren wrote:

> On 2/2/2012 1:19 PM, Matt wrote:
>> Has anyone installed a high I/O application such as an email server on
>> SSD drives?  Was thinking about doing two SSD's in RAID1.  It would
>> solve my I/O latency issues but I have heard that SSD's wear out
>> quickly in high I/O situations?  Something like each memory location
>> only has X many writes before its done.  Just wandering if anyone has
>> tested it and if newer SSD's are better about this?
>>
> it all depends on how much writing you do AND how much spare space the
> drives have.  The more spare flash the drives have the longer they'll
> live due to being able to spread the writing wear over a larger area.

How very timely, I'm just starting to investigate something similar
myself.  I don't have much to contribute however this forum post:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm
seems as though it'll be interesting, if I can ever make it through 3500+
pages to get to the conclusion.