[CentOS] new mysql installation, kinda stuck- sorta solved

Fri Feb 3 07:22:41 UTC 2012
nux at li.nux.ro <nux at li.nux.ro>

Bob Hoffman writes:

> after a few yum remove / reinstalls I got this working by doing the
> following...
>
> (not fully set up yet, just the very first step)
>
> #yum install mysql mysql-server
> #service mysqld start
> #chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on
>
> #mysql --user=root -p

First time you log in you don't need "-p" as there is no password to input
yet. That's your first mistake. "mysql -u root" would've worked just as
good.

To avoid problems, after the install is done just execute
mysql-secure-installation which will guide you through setting up the root
password.

When you run into this kind of problems you can just remove or rename
/var/lib/mysql and restart the service, it should "reset" you back to
square one. Of course, make a backup first!

Cheerio

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro