[CentOS] distributed storage/home-made cloud recommendations

Sun Feb 5 23:33:36 UTC 2012
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 02/05/12 3:24 PM, Ross Walker wrote:
> It might be easier to do the striping in software cause that's a zero over-head operation and it makes the hardware RAID easier to setup, maintain and can make rebuilds less painful depending on the controller.

I just tried a bunch of combinations on a 3 x 11 raid60 configuration
plus 3 global hotspares, and decided that letting the controller (LSI
9260-8i MegaSAS2) do it was easier all the way around.   of course, with
other controllerrs, your mileage may vary.  and yes, megacli64 is an
ugly tool to tame.

with 3TB SAS drives, single drive failures rebuild in 12 hours, double
failures in 18 hours.  (failures forced by disabling drives via megacli)