[CentOS] distributed storage/home-made cloud recommendations

Tue Feb 7 14:57:04 UTC 2012
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Feb 5, 2012, at 6:33 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> I just tried a bunch of combinations on a 3 x 11 raid60 configuration
> plus 3 global hotspares, and decided that letting the controller (LSI
> 9260-8i MegaSAS2) do it was easier all the way around.   of course, with
> other controllerrs, your mileage may vary.  and yes, megacli64 is an
> ugly tool to tame.

Some controllers are better.

Software based stripes do allow you to span RAID controllers though which provides a lot of flexibility.

When I do do software striping I do it within LVM instead of creating a RAID0 as I found it easier to manage long term.

-Ross