[CentOS] about major version upgrades

Tue Feb 7 22:43:35 UTC 2012
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Feb 7, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:
>>
>> puppet manifests won't expire because of changes in ruby rather because of changes in puppet but a startup at this point should be fine for many years as the path forward seems pretty well defined.
>
> Does it keep a self-contained library or is it subject to package
> updates and future incompatibilities?  I don't know much about ruby
> but the guy here who uses it wants nothing to do with packaged
> versions or anything that will either be 'too old' or break things
> with updates.   Things like that make me very nervous.  If today's and
> yesterday's version of a language have to be different they were
> probably both wrong.
----
we are very much a ruby factory here and pretty much use enterprise ruby across the board (CentOS & Ubuntu)

http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/

which is far from the newest but is entirely predictable and very performance tuned to running our web apps. Just seemed easier to use the same version across the board.

Puppet itself can work with any reasonable version of ruby...

- 1.8.7 to 1.9.3 /server (technically, you can run the puppet master on 1.8.5 but that would pretty much preclude theforeman & dashboard, and I make heavy use of theforeman).

- 1.8.5+ /client

and so the changes in ruby language are really just a matter for puppet itself, which I would believe you would call it a self-contained library. The future is always difficult to predict and if I had that gift, I wouldn't be working but rather making a killing on sports bets.

theforeman takes puppet up a notch...
http://theforeman.org/

Craig