[CentOS] Eeek, my centos6 box won't boot after broken update, need help w/ yum

Wed Feb 8 16:40:57 UTC 2012
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

On 02/08/2012 03:22 PM, wwp wrote:
> Hello Ljubomir,
>

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:06:44 +0100 Ljubomir Ljubojevic<office at plnet.rs>  wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>>

>>> I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
>>> latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
>>> only in init 3 mode (tty).
>>>
>>>   From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
>>> to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
>>>
>>> yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
>>> transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename>   - ud from
>>> the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
>>> lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
>>> Same stuff if I start that command again.
>>>
>>> A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
>>>
>>> Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
>>>

>> "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
>> number). Use that number in:
>>
>> "yum history undo<number>", "yum history redo<number>" or "yum history
>> rollback<number>"
>>
>> Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.
>
> Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
> advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).
>
> None of the undo or rollback commands work, mostly because of hundreds
> of "Failed to downgrade<packagename>" lines (those packagenames are
> not part of the stalled transaction, BTW).
>
> It seems that the problem is not simply a broken transaction today,
> `yum check` reports 399 pre-existing rpmdb problems, typically
> conflicts between duplicate old and new versions of tons of other
> packages, and I don't have a clue of when/how this has all been broken.
>
> And don't know how to fix.. reinstalling the system seems a bit rough?

I am hesitant to further advise you, since my yum problem solving is not
so great. Please backup any files you need/want first.

That said, you can try
"yum history sync"
, and if even that does not help, think about re-installing all packages
with
"yum reinstall *"

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic