[CentOS] oops, or how to bring a datacenter router down with one setting

Fri Feb 10 10:18:32 UTC 2012
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <4F345CD3.4060604 at bobhoffman.com>,
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> so I gave up on bonding.
> I found about 300 posts showing eth0 and eth1 both pointing to br0 (bridge)
> as interfaces.
> I followed them correctly, or so I thought.
> I pointed both ethx to the bridge, restarted network and bam...!!!
>
> entire ip block went out.
>
> [...]
>
> Feb  9 04:22:41 main kernel: __ratelimit: 100807 callbacks suppressed
> Feb  9 04:22:41 main kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as
> source address

I think to do this you also need to be connected to a managed switch
which supports interface bonding. You would have to tell it that the two
switch ports are bonded to the same machine. That should prevent it from
forwarding packets received on one of the ports out via the other port.

The key phrase to look for appears to be "IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link
Aggregation".

Cheers
Tony
--