[CentOS] Dovecot problems

Sun Feb 12 19:09:41 UTC 2012
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 12.02.2012 20:01, schrieb Steve Campbell:
> Actually, I'm having problems with pop and imap.
>
> I changed mailservers this weekend, going from a Centos 3 box to a
> Centos 6 box. The Centos 3 box used the old standard imap and pop
> servers. We use horde for our webmail. The pop3 mailboxes (mbox)  were
> in /var/spool/mail and the imap folders were in /home/user/mail, which
> horde took care of.

So 2 classes of users? As John has annotated, mixing POP3 and IMP4 use
is not advised at all.

> Upon starting the Centos 6 box, I ran into tons of login and viewing
> problems. I tried Cyrus for imap, could log in, but couldn't see mail in
> the imap folders. Using dovecot for pop, I eventually could get logged
> in, but kept getting the "couldn't open INBOX" message, so no one could
> download their email, even though sendmail was delivering it properly.

Cyrus-IMAPd is out of the game unless you do a real mail store migration
as Cyrus-IMAPd uses his own storage scheme.

> So here's my question:
>
> Can (should) dovecot be used for both imap and pop when considering the
> above setup of mbox in /var/spool/mail and imap folders in ~/mail? Horde
> will read the mbox to display new messages in it's screens.

Yes.

See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation

> Thanks for any help. It's been a long night, going on about 14 hours now
> and I'm just getting the old server back to current until I figure this out.

Not intended to sound smart ass, but changing a production system the
way you do without prior testing isn't that clever.

> steve campbell

I wish you success.

Alexander