[CentOS] oops, or how to bring a datacenter router down with one setting

Tue Feb 14 00:11:26 UTC 2012
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 02/10/2012 05:54 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Yea, I gave up on bonding, ended up just using eth1. But every tutorial
> I found had added eth0 and eth1 as interfaces to br0, thus sharing the
> bridge so to speak.

Those tutorials were documenting the manner in which you can set up a
transparent Linux firewall.  That's not what you want to do with a KVM
server.

Creating an Ethernet bridge and adding two interfaces to it effectively
makes a Linux host into a two-port switch with firewalling.

If you connect multiple ports from one switch to ports on a second
switch (two bridged Linux Ethernet ports to a switch) you create a
switch loop.  Switch loops will endlessly replay broadcast traffic (such
as ARP), creating a broadcast storm.

Yes, that can consume all of a router's CPU cycles quite easily.  That
is why data centers should always run spanning tree on their switches.
STP will shut off ports that get looped.