[CentOS] bug in repo affecting perl

Tue Feb 14 03:11:47 UTC 2012
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

Blake Hudson wrote:
> I seem to running into the following bug when attempting to perform a
> yum update: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5322
>
> I have been skipping perl to move on. However, I am unable to update
> perl to the latest i386 release due to what appears to be a mistake in
> the centOS repo.
>
> The CentOS mirrors have the following:
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/perl-5.8.8-32.el5_6.3.i386.rpm
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/perl-5.8.8-32.el5_6.3.x86_64.rpm
>
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/updates/i386/RPMS/perl-5.8.8-32.el5_7.6.i386.rpm
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/updates/x86_64/RPMS/perl-5.8.8-32.el5_7.6.x86_64.rpm
>
> *http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/extras/x86_64/RPMS/perl-5.8.8-32.el5_6.3.i386.rpm*
> ???

why do you think there's a problem?
if you have an x86_64 system, you are expected to use x86_64 perl, and
that's what you have in the os and updates dir for that arch, with the
newer version in updates.
Same if you have an i386 system.

Apparently centos extras provides the i386 package for people who want
that on an x86_64 system, although the version provided is the older one.

> When I run a "yum list perl" or "yum update perl.i386" all I see is
> 5.8.8-32.el5_6.3 in the extras repo. It seems like this file shouldn't
> even exist. If I disable the repo my yum finds nothing for the i386
> release of perl, even though the RPM is present in the updates directory.

it's not in x86_64 and I bet that's what your arch is.
so yum doesn't look in the i386 path.
Everything is normal.

The only possible "bug" is that extras could carry the latest i386 package.