[CentOS] question on unused directories in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64

Wed Feb 15 20:51:54 UTC 2012
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 15.02.2012 21:30, schrieb Craig Thompson:
> I was working on archiving an old virtual server today and was reminded of how much space is wasted by some of the default installations on CentOS.  I think this was a 5.x box.
>
> Anyway, in /usr/lib/64 (and probably /usr/lib on non-64 systems), there were a lot of directories which have no bearing on a basic server.  I saw firefox, openoffice and many, many other directories -- replete with enough files to seriously affect backup space over time.
>
> Does anyone have an available script or list of commands for removing most or all of these "generally unused" directories, packages or whatever they are?
>
> I found something a while back for shutting off unused services, but this seems to be a gaping hole in available archives.
>
> Thanks.
>
> CT

You are kidding, are you?

Uninstall unused / unnecessary software cleanly using using yum (or
rpm). *Don't* randomly delete filesystem structures you think they are
pointless or wasting harddrive space.

Alexander