[CentOS] LDAP encryption, not sure.

Thu Feb 16 02:20:59 UTC 2012
Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at arinet.org>

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:
>> Say the case is like this. CompB is set to have LDAP authentication.
>> A ---> SSH ---> CompB ---> Local LDAP:389 ---> SASLAUTHD --> Global LDAP: 636
>>
>> 1. Password on the SSH session would be encrypted, isn't it?
> ----
> ldaps (port 636) would indeed be encrypted but it is deprecated and not typically started by default configurations these days.
> ----
>> 2. How about when it goes to the local LDAP:389, would it be encrypted?
> ----
> depends upon whether TLS is indicated and/or required.
>
> If you require it via an ACL on the LDAP server, then it succeeds only if the connection is made via TLS.
>
> If you require it at the client (TLS_ReqCert demand or hard), then it succeeds only if the connection is made via TLS.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
When I setup TLS on the local LDAP, somehow the saslauthd fails to
authenticate the password with Global LDAP.
The admin said that the Global LDAP doesn't support TLS, only SSL.

Basic question...
What's the different between TLS and SSL in LDAP? I googled no clue yet.