[CentOS] smartd and smartctl

Fri Feb 17 23:40:51 UTC 2012
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>

On Friday 17 February 2012, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA
> _of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      2536
>   -
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2529
>   -
>
> So I'm befuddled why it won't tell me anything about this pending
> error.

I've had a hard drive with *many* bad sectors, and still smartctl
reported "Completed without error". I believe this means that there are
still spare sectors available.

I suggest "badblocks -n", as I said in another message. This may also
detect more bad sectors. What does "5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct" say?

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se