[CentOS] Pam problems

Thu Feb 23 17:44:05 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:

> Seems that I've gotten myself into a war over on the dovecot forums. Not
> what I intended to do, but when using sendmail with dovecot, it  appears
> that dovecot auth takes over what sasl auth used to do.

You are still not making any sense.  Dovecot doesn't do anything
directly to sendmail.  If anything like this is happening at all, it
is in the configurations as shipped by whatever packages you have
installed, or some local change you have.  Or maybe by the
slightly-weird 'alternatives' system.  Have you followed all of the
symlinks that might be involved?

> Pretty much over there uses postfix and postfix supports dovecot auth.
> sendmail doesn't. I don't know how to separate the auth stuff.

What does that mean.  And what do you want to happen?

> I agree with you concerning the pam files being pretty simple. If I turn
> off dovecot and try and connect to port 587, I get nothing including no
> return.

What does 'turn off dovecot' mean?  And did you note the comment in sendmail.mc:
' Please remember that saslauthd needs to be running for AUTH'

> If I turn on dovecot, I get dovecot auth failures in my secure
> logs. Sort of tells me that dovecot is taking over the auth processes
> from sasl. I could be wrong.

That would probably be a good thing, since you generally want the same
people to authenticate the same way for imap and authenticated
sending.    Why not leave that part alone and focus on fixing it?

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com