[CentOS] Pam problems

Thu Feb 23 20:57:38 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:

>> On a 6.x system with dovecot and sendmail,  /etc/pam.d/smtp is a
>> symlink.  I haven't tracked down the significance.
>
> It appears it's just a basic pam file but instead of system-auth, it has
> password-auth.

System-auth was normal in 5.x, 6.x should have password-auth in most
or all of the same places.  And since you mentioned something about
pam_stack earlier, that might be from 3.x, replaced by proper
'include' now.

> Correct again. Apparently, since sendmail is the secondary choice for
> MTA and dovecot is to work with postfix, nothing about my setup now is
> standard or default except for dovecot.

A yum-installed sendmail should be 'standard enough' if you haven't
done something like dropping a Centos 3.x sendmail.mc on top of the
new one.

> Looks like I'm going to have to push postfix into service. It means
> learning where all the options are, just like in dovecot, and modifying
> any software that depends on the sendmail package, like MailScanner and
> who knows what else until I hit it.

There might be a little safety-in-numbers from other people who don't
know how to configure sendmail, but that's not really a good reason to
switch.   If sendmail auth works the way you expect before installing
dovecot, just rpm -q --list dovecot and figure out which piece is
breaking things.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com