[CentOS] Data consumption (external connections only)

Sun Feb 26 21:33:08 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

>> Without separate interfaces there's not much to distinguish your
>> local/external concepts.
>
> As I see it, there's probably some way (that I haven't yet discovered) to
> separate the traffic by gateway.  Or at least some way to distinguish local
> traffic from external traffic.

There is, but not in the places that normal metrics are gathered. You
need to look at the route toward the target IP address for your
breakdown.   There are tools to do it in iptables, but it is not a
common operation so you are probably on your own to set up the matches
and read the counters.  Someone doing it on a larger scale would
probably arrange subnets to isolate the traffic by interfaces or use
routers with netflow metrics to track usage by connection.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com