[CentOS] Data consumption (external connections only)

Sun Feb 26 21:50:32 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

>> There are tools to do it in iptables, but it is not a
>> common operation so you are probably on your own to set up the matches
>> and read the counters.
>
> It's apparently not common, as you say, and I really don't understand why.
> Folks who buy their bandwith by the mb (thankfully not me) might want to count
> exactly how much traffic they send out over their satellite or whatever, while
> omitting the local traffic between their desktop and their laptop.  Which is
> why it surprises me that no tool apparently exists that can do this.

Most people would just look at the router's own bandwidth measurement
or the one at the ISP's end if that is available.  I thought what made
your case uncommon was that you had multiple machines and multiple
routers and  wanted the measurements for each pairing even though the
packets go over the same interfaces with no inherent separation.   If
you added interfaces and subnets for each route you wanted to measure
separately the normal tools would work naturally.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com