[CentOS] centos4 and rhel4 upstream effective eol

Wed Feb 29 12:09:44 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/28/2012 10:49 AM, R - elists wrote:
> what exactly is the planned day and time that centos4 will be moved removed
> from working "yum update" & current mirrored functionality ??
>
> march 1st or a day or two later please?
>
>  - rh

CentOS 4.9 is currently (and will remain forever) at:

http://vault.centos.org/4.9/

There will be no more updates added to that after Red Hat stops
releasing updates (if they release any more before they stop support, we
will add those), but it will remain fully functional with some changes
to your CentOS-Base.repo file.

Specifically, remark out all the mirrorlist and baseurl functions and
use this:

baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/4.9/<repo>/<arch>/

so these baseurls would be used on an i386 machine in the various
sections instead of what is there:

baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/4.9/os/i386/
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/4.9/updates/i386/
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/4.9/extras/i386/
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/4.9/centosplus/i386/

Now, of course, we highly recommend moving off CentOS-4, as there will
be no more security fixes ... but you can use vault.centos.org as
necessary even after removal from the main mirrors.

As to the timing for the removal of CentOS-4.x from the master mirror
(and therefore all of mirror.centos.org, then the remote sites), I am
not 100% sure yet when we will move it off.  We may not remove it for
the CentOS-5.8 release ... we might, but probably not.  We will almost
certainly remove CentOS-4.x when we remove CentOS-5.7 (probably a week
or so after the 5.8 release) ... so likely around March 10th, 2012.