[CentOS] Checkinstall rpm for CentOS-6 x86_64?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Jan 1 18:11:26 UTC 2012

On 12/31/2011 02:24 PM, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>> consider using fpm instead ? it kind of address's the same problem in a
>> different way.
>
> Although I'm not the OP I'm interested in that topic too.

https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm/wiki and
https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0Aa9liCTsAyzRZGNtd3dkOTRfMTdmczY2azlkcg&hl=en

having said that - *I* am not a big fan of using these kinds of tools,
its still way better to get a spec file in place that you can hand edit
and maintain. Fpm has its place, it will let you grab a build and make
an rpm out of it - but it does nothing for maintainability and nothing
for management. BUT its a mile better than a 'make install' or
checkinstall ( in that it does use rpmbuild )

installing fpm is tricky, since it has no dependency checks - so its a
case of install it, then workout what deps it needs as things fail.
Maybe a slightly worthwhile effort would be to package fpm into a rpm
with the right deps :)

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax