[CentOS] Centos 6.X compatible to ORACLE DB verssion????

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Mon Jan 2 15:59:28 UTC 2012

On 2 January 2012 15:46, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> And my point is, right now Oracle can say that they have not certified
> their own OEL6 either ... therefore, one can not expect RHEL6 to be
> certified either.  If they certify OEL6 for a version of Oracle
> Database, it would be difficult for them to tell Red Hat that they can
> not certify RHEL6 or that there are issues with that version of their
> Oracle Database.
It is their software, I am sure they can certify against any arbitrary
OS as they like. I don't believe they have any agreement with anyone
for any future support. They have been de-supporting other platforms
at will (well, no one is going to cry after loss of Titanic support, I
am sure about that). Worse, they can say 'RHEL only with Unbreakable
Kernel' which they have already started to state for various
technologies (i.e., ASMLib). (Now I am way off topic here) It is
obvious that their whole plan is to somehow get RedHat bankrupt so
that they can buy it cheap. There's no other explanation about their
OEL support policy & prices.I admit all they to is within GPL
therefore legal but just not nice. I don't have to like it.
Unfortunately at work for various reason I am using more and more OEL
than RHEL.

More than once I had trouble with differences between OEL Ubreakable
Kernel and std. upstream/Centos kernels. As far as I can see, pretty
soon I cannot treat OEL as an identical platform (like CentOS) to
upstream and expect things just work,