[CentOS] Can't find qemu-kvm

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Jan 2 23:26:06 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 09:49 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 01/02/2012 03:19 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Mark LaPierre<marklapier at aol.com>   wrote:
>>> I just installed CentOS 6.2 32 bit today.  When I try to start the
>>> Virtual Machine Manager I get a error:
>>>
>>> Packages required for KVM usage
>>>
>>> The following packages are not installed:
>>>
>>> qemu-kvm
>>
>> KVM is not available for 32-bit. You need to install CentOS x86_64.
>
> Then I have to face weeks of 32 bit compatibility issues, unresolvable
> library conflicts, and source code that won't build.  It's bad enough
> that I can't get Microsoft's Skype to run on this 32 bit system.  I just
> spent most of a week trying to get Scientific Linux 6.1 x86-64 to
> cooperate.  There are still too many 32 bit only applications to deal
> with.  Aside from that, I have to go back to work tomorrow because my
> Christmas break is over. ;-)

For Skype I use version 2.1.0.81
On 64-bit system) you need to download that version and run:
yum –nogpgchek localinstall skype-2.1.0.81-fc10.i586.rpm glibc.i686
alsa-lib.i686 libXv.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 qt.i686 qt-x11.i686′

You can download this working version from my EL6 repository:
http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-i386/RPMS.centdos/skype-2.1.0.81-fc10.i586.rpm

> As for KVM not working in 32 bit, I found it worked quite well in Fedora
> 14 32 bit.  Can someone explain how making it 64 bit only is an
> improvement? :-(

Upstream decided to ditch KVM for 32-bit system. Fedora is testing
ground for RHEL, they do what they want. As simple as that.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...