[CentOS] Passwords apparently stopped working.

Paul (GPR Support) paul at gpr.co.za
Wed Jan 4 06:15:04 UTC 2012

The /etc/shadow file has fields that control account login properties. The
following is out of the man file for /etc/shadow:

struct spwd {
                 char *sp_namp; /* user login name */
                 char *sp_pwdp; /* encrypted password */
                 long sp_lstchg; /* last password change */
                 int  sp_min; /* days until change allowed. */
                 int  sp_max; /* days before change required */
                 int  sp_warn; /* days warning for expiration */
                 int  sp_inact; /* days before account inactive */
                 int  sp_expire; /* date when account expires */
                 int  sp_flag; /* reserved for future use */
       }

Could it be  that the expiration field was set such that the passwords
expired?