[CentOS] Cannot use kickstart file to install CentOS 6.2 into a blank harddisk

lee_yiu_chung at yahoo.com

Wed Jan 4 12:25:31 UTC 2012

I am trying using a kickstart file to install CentOS 6.2 into a new virtual machine (the MBR sector
of the harddisk is all zero), however I found that the installer cannot go through the harddisk
partition. It failed after I chose "Use All Space" at harddisk partition option.
The error message is:
http://anony.ws/i/bMcTJ.png

"You have not defined a root partition (/), which is required for installation of CentOS to continue.
You have not created a/boot/efi partition (note: I am using BIOS, not (U)EFI)
This can happen if there is not enough space on your harddrive(s) for installation."

However, if I create a blank MBR partition table before before CentOS installation, then there is no
problem. The same kickstart file works for CentOS 6.1 with blank harddisk. (with url parameter
changed of course)

Below is the kickstart file I used (between dash lines)

-------
url --url="http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/CentOS/6.2/os/i386/"
interactive
timezone  Asia/Hong_Kong
firstboot --enable
-------

Steps to reproduce:
1. create a new virtual machine with blank harddisk image (or, a real blank harddisk)
2. boot the netinstall iso
3. at boot menu, press tab and append ks=<kickstart_file_location> and press enter to boot
4. go through the boot option as usual until harddisk partition options
5. Choose "Use All Space" at harddisk partition options
6. error occurs