[CentOS] Centos 6.X compatible to ORACLE DB verssion????

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Thu Jan 5 23:01:15 UTC 2012

On 5 January 2012 22:11, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:
> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2012/01/03/dell-engineering-preview-oracle-11gr2-rac-on-rhel6.aspx
> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-solutions/w/oracle_solutions/3336.aspx
And?

First paragraph from the first link clearly states, I quote from it:
DISCLAIMER: The following is Engineering Documentation provided by
Dell and is a technology preview only. At this time the following
configuration is not supported by Dell, Red Hat, or Oracle. The
contents of this article should be only viewed as an engineering
demonstration.

What's the point? There is no justification for having RHEL/CentOS or
even OEL6 and running a production Oracle instance on it. Months after
RH's certification submission, Oracle still refuses to certify these
platforms, even its own OEL6. If you are shelling out thousands, tens
of thousands, hundreds of thousands (or millions according to a
suggested architecture I reviewed today) for a customer, go and get a
supported OS.

If you have the time to tinker with it to get it working, excellent,
I'm sure plenty of lessons learned - I had it running on single DB
RHEL6 ages ago and it works fine. Will I suggest to a customer? No.
Will I risk any development on it? No. Will I recommend it to anyone?
No. I am running Oracle 11gR2 on my Kubuntu 11.10 work laptop and it
runs fine but the same applies - no recommendation to a customer, no
production instance, no test instance, no certification from Oracle
hence no support expected from them.