[CentOS] swap labeling annoyance

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 6 12:25:13 UTC 2012

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 06:14 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> mkswap -L SWAP-sda3 /dev/sda3
>
> I didn't know you could create a label within the mkswap command.  I
> always used "e2label" as in:
>
> e2label /dev/sda2 myswap
>
> Try it with e2label just in case.  Also, are you able to activate the
> swap using just the block device as reference?

Can't do that: e2label is *only* for an ext2/3/4 partition, and won't
work with swap (or at least it didn't when I tried it last year). mkswap
-L <label> /dev/sdx

	mark -

-- random .sig, honest!
A horned and tusked purple thing went racing along the
ridge to my right pursued by a hairless orange-skinned
creature with long claws and a forked tail.  Both were
wailing in different keys.

I nodded.  It was just one damned thing after another.

               - from _Trumps of Doom_ by Roger Zelazny